We have some BIG family adventure goals. Which is why this website was started. And I am so excited about them, but they are big and scary, and a couple years out. Sometimes it is hard to stay focused on the big goals down the pipeline.
I’ve noticed this month that over the winter, I’ve been…not less excited…but a little less focused on our big adventure-travel goals (long term travel). Honestly, winters in New York have been hard for me, all 4, and it is hard to stay focused on just about anything.
That big travel adventure goal feels so far away right now, so out of reach. Keeping it in the forefront of my mind when I’m shopping, or making decisions here, is hard.
Here is what I’m doing right now to stay focused.
- Write it down. Write it down again. I keep a lot of notes in a book like this.
- Break it down. Where should we be this summer-physically and financially? Next year? In 3 months?
- What can I do right now?
- Talk. Talking with the kids over where we want to explore. Talking with Jeremy about the same, about boats, about money.
- Working. Working on earning extra money. Working on being mindful of our spending habits and putting money into savings.
- Taking care of myself. This seems a little off kilter, but it is so important. Taking care of my mental well-being and physical well-being during winter is hard, but it makes me a better person, wife, and mom. And when I’m moving my body, and eating foods that nourish me, I’m not in a brain fog, just wanting to veg out with Netflix. I have clarity, and am able to focus on daily tasks, and on these big goals.
How do you keep focused on your long-term goals?